Offline Brett

• Global Moderator
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Durban
  • Province / State: KwaZulu-Natal
Air in take
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:17:41 am »
Morning

After chatting to a x Lada owner he advised that he had removed the plastic in take pipe that leads to the air filter housing, the same one with adjustments for extreme temperatures.  He said this helps with the fuel consumption as that pipe restricts air flow? Is there any truth in this?  I presume that If they designed the vehicle with it then it should remain.  Please clarify if I am missing something.

Many thanks.

Offline Danie

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • Province / State: KZN
Re: Air in take
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:52 pm »
I would rather stick to the original intake pype, because I think chances are better that cooler air will be sucked into the engine due to the location of the inlet at the front of the engine.  It is common knowledge that cooler air has a higher density with more oxygen  - which means the fuel burns better, and causes more horsepower. When the air intake pipe gets removed, I actally think fuel consumption might become worse....
So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline ram

• Full Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Mariakerke
  • Province / State: East-Flanders
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:42:04 pm »
in my opinion, I would leave the intake as it is, the diameter of the intake is quite sufficient for the engine. Cooler air will indeed improve things a bit as Danie says, which is of course better than sucking up the hot air around the engine. There s also the issue of the velocity of the air that goes in. All within limits of course, the same amount of air will get at the same amount of sucktion, faster in the engine through a smaller tube, compared to a larger diameter tube.
One could actually get problems by overdoing it either way. A too small intake will effectivly limit air flow, a too large one could get a carb niva running too lean with possible stalling problems. A tbi niva might compensate enough, but will most likely inject more fuel to get the correct mixture.

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:18:07 am »
A tbi niva might compensate enough, but will most likely inject more fuel to get the correct mixture.

I agree fully with both previous posters. On my TBI fuel consumption improved when I replaced the funnel which will as ram says increase flow speed. But I also replaced the warm air pipe from the exhaust manifold shroud to the control valve at the  same time. So it could also be the faster heating that compensate fuel mixture quicker on cold starts.

Offline Brett

• Global Moderator
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • Province / State: KwaZulu-Natal
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:27:52 am »
Thank you very much for the input.