Author Topic: Buying my first Lada, what to look for?  (Read 3252 times)  Share 

Offline Riekert

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Cape Town
  • Province / State: Western Cape
Buying my first Lada, what to look for?
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:30 am »
Hi all

I will hopefully be buying my first Lada Niva in the coming week. But I am definitely not clued up to when it comes to mechanics.

My main questions are, is there anything that will indicate there is a serious issue with the Lada?

I want to use it as a daily commuter, so I really cant risk being stranded and would like to get it fixed up nicely so that I won't have any issues. Who is the cape town area would you suggest I can take it to? Also, how available are replacement parts actually? And does it work out expensive to source these parts if they are not available?

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Wihan

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
Re: Buying my first Lada, what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:20:01 pm »
Welcome Wihan,

Have a look in how to section. There are some pointers in the how to buy or not buy a niva.

Spares for normal services can be bought locally. Ask one of the moderators for the spares list

Riaan de Wet in Brackenfell could possibly assist as well
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:28:53 pm by Spikes »

Offline Danie

• City: Durban
  • Province / State: KZN
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:41:59 pm »
Hi Wihan, I guess you have acsess to reliable transport untill your future Lada has been sorted properly. If not, you need to know that Ladas in SA are at least 16 years old, and chances that you will find a perfect, reliable Lada is not all that good. You mentioned "I really can't risk being stranded", therefore my advice. Whatever you do, I think you need to take special care not to buy a "cat in a bag". Fixing a "cat in a bag" could easily turn into a financial nightmare.
So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline Riekert

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Cape Town
  • Province / State: Western Cape
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:48:10 am »
Thank you both. Very excited for this purchase. The one I am purchasing looks to be in quite good shape and the previous owner had spent quite some time and effort on it. I do habe realistic expectations though of a car that is just about 20 years old.

Non the less I will take it to someone for a decent service and some hopefully "small" repair work.

Regards
Wihan

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:01:52 am »
Hi,
Maybe post a link to the advert, someone here may know the car, as its quite a small.community.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

One wife - livid