Author Topic: Lada choking on high rpms/ when driving on highway, or going uphill  (Read 2468 times)  Share 

Offline Riekert

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Cape Town
  • Province / State: Western Cape
Hi all

Im having some issues where when I go over 3000rpms in 4th or 5th gear driving on the highway, or going up a long incline my lada starts to choke, almost like it could be out of feul. I was told that it could be the carb thats dirty. But Ive had it cleaned out and still does this.

Also, there is a very strong smell of feul in the cabin area, could this be related?

I am not certain if all the sparks are working. There are two different kinds of spark plugs used at the moment... dont ask me why got it like that. But would it be worth it to chamge those and see if it makes a difference first?

Regards
Wihan

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
Re: Lada choking on high rpms/ when driving on highway, or going uphill
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:04:10 am »
Hi Wihan,

For fixing the fuel smell read this thread:   http://ladanivaza.co.za/index.php?topic=746.0

I would change the spark plugs to the correct ones, replace the air and fuel filters if you have not done it recently.

Which carb do you have, the original Solex or a weber?. If it's the weber, check the float level. There may be to little fuelin the float chamber.

Offline Danie

• City: Durban
  • Province / State: KZN
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:40:41 pm »
You can also have a look at the fuel pickup inside the fuel tank. The fuel picups have filters with very fine mesh at the bottom. The filters get blocked by time and eventually restrict fuel flow.
So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline kleynhap

• Junior Niva Petrol head
  • City: Brakpan
  • Province / State: Gauteng
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:54:51 am »
Hi Wihan, yes all previous suggestions are possibilities. Also, something like a weak HT coil could result in slight loss of power which may only be noticeable in the taller gears. I would also focus first on the fuel float level, and ensure fuel pump and filters are in order.
Peter

Offline Ihar

• Administrator
  • Honour thy forefathers and drink beer, they did.
  • City: Roodepoort
  • Province / State: Gauteng
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »
Recently had the same issue in a carb version with the standard fuel pump, eventually the car died completely and I traced the problem to a faulty fuel pump.  Not sure yet if it was the diaphragms in the pump or the pump itself, but I replaced the entire pump.

Tjeers

Steve