Author Topic: TBI wont start - No Fuel (Very unique cause)  (Read 1727 times)  Share 

Offline Spencer

• New Niva Petrol head
  • Oh Niva, My Niva!
  • City: Krugersdorp
  • Province / State: Gauteng
TBI wont start - No Fuel (Very unique cause)
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:31:15 pm »
Hi Guys.

So Kalashikov (1.7i) would not start. I started checking the usual suspects. Yes it had nearly half a tank of fuel. No loose connections that I could see. The ECU code that flashed was 13, which refers to the oxygen sensor. There was spark. But there was now fuel coming out of the injector.

So then checked the fuel filter. No fuel coming from either side of the filter. So that means the pump is not pumping. I checked the fuses and swapped out the relays, but still no luck.

Then I opened the wiring at the pump under the rear seat. When you are working alone it is difficult to check if power is coming to the pump. When you switch on the ignition, there is a two second pulse of electricity to the pump in order to pressurize the line. (thanks for explaining that on the Whatsapp group, Ari and Bill). Switching on the ignition and checking the light bulb on my tester required some acrobatics. However, it showed some power coming through.

Next recommendation was to apply power from the battery to the pump. I could hear a click in the tank, but no humming or running from the pump, so that meant the impeller was stuck or something.

Upon removal of the pump from the tank, I saw some odd debris in the uptake orifice. Hair and thin strands of plastic. I cleaned it out and whilst being thoroughly discombobulated as to how that would get into my tank, I realized that the pump is a sealed unit. No way of opening it without causing irreparable damage.

I then attached some wires to the battery and directly powered the pump. After about 4 or 5 touches of the positive wire, the pump started up and spewed the remaining petrol from its bowels all over me. I was dripping with fuel but happy that whatever was stuck in the impeller was now gone.

Upon re-installation of the pump I tried to start it up and after a couple of turns the engine was running!

It is a great relief that it was not something serious, but I thought I would post about this odd problem. Personally I have never heard of a couple human hairs causing a fuel pump to jam.

Regards
Chris
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:33:01 pm by Spencer »

Online Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: PTA
  • Province / State: GP
Re: TBI wont start - No Fuel (Very unique cause)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:38:04 pm »
Lol Chris

Glad to be of assistance

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.

Offline Spencer

• New Niva Petrol head
  • Oh Niva, My Niva!
  • City: Krugersdorp
  • Province / State: Gauteng
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:38:50 am »
Hi Guys.

Just an update.

The check engine light was coming on from time to time, and I could never see a code that was causing it. The light now seems to have stopped coming on randomly. Maybe the ECU was complaining that the pump was running improperly, but just did not know how to tell me.

And then another anecdotal improvement we have noticed is that Kalishikov  has a bit of extra grunt. Some hills we used to run in second gear are now done in 3rd. You notice a bit of extra power very easily in a lada....

So there you go, the weirdness continues.

Regards
Chris

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:29:13 am »
You may see a rise in fuel consumption  ;) ;) :D

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »
From the DST-2M scanner handbook. Note that there is a reading for FUEL fuel supply. So the ECU may well have been trying to convey a message.