Author Topic: New auto tensioner issues  (Read 3673 times)  Share 

Offline marius

• Senior Niva Petrol Head
  • The proof is in the pudding
  • City: The other side of Ventersdorp
  • Province / State: North West Province
New auto tensioner issues
« on: August 14, 2018, 03:08:17 pm »
I haven't posted here for quite some time now but I think it is quite important to mention that some of our members whom acquired the new auto tensioner have had some difficulty with it. Mostly it is accompanied with some rattling sound from the chain which means that the tensioner hasn't set properly after it was fitted. Perhaps someone has experienced this before and knows how to remedy the problem?

Offline ladaboy

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: durban
  • Province / State: kzn
Re: New auto tensioner issues
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:51:56 pm »
The issue with the auto tensioner is that it is a bit of a balls up design. The problem occurs when the ratchet pawl section gets seized / stuck. You need to remove the 5mm allen bolt ( easier to remove while tensioner is installed rather than fighting with it when the tensioner out) then remove the tensioner and manhandle it a bit when it is out and get the pawl section to free up. I used a small water pump pliers to tap the unit around the pawl area ( only carry a 4 pounder for a hammer ) You will see it come loose when the tensioner suddenly fully extracts to its max length. This takes a bit ( a lot ) of patience Don't worry , it wont jump apart. You then need to pry the pawl back to release it from the ratchet teeth. I managed to pry it back with my grubby fingernail. This is fairly easy. Press the plunger fully in till you see the securing hole protrude from the end of the tensioner where the small 5mm allen bolt goes in. Pin it with a thin allen key while still pushing it in otherwise it fully extracts again and you got to start over again. Reinstall the tensioner unit with a new gasket. You can cut one from valemoid paper and PLEASE DO NOT USE SILICONE SEALER!!! Rub the new gasket lightly with clean wheel bearing grease. This will soften the gasket and prevent leaks.
Once tensioner is installed pull the thin securing allen key out and the tensioner will release onto the chain tensioner shoe. Then you need to use a thin screwdriver to assist the centre pin to seat. Rotate engine a little bit by hand in direction of normal engine rotation while pressing with medium pressure on the centre pin. Get someone to assist you to start the engine all the while you apply pressure to the centre pin.( you obviously wont be trying to turn the engine by hand anymore at this point)  When the engine fires you will feel the tensioner pulsate on the thin screwdriver. You should hear the engine chain go quiet at this point.
PLEASE WATCH YOUR FINGERS IN THE FAN. You can now remove the screwdriver and refit the 5mm allen bolt with engine switched off or running...depends how brave you are. Everything should now be set till next time.
The auto tensioner is a nice idea but it is still prone to regular maintenance that will still need to be done at every service to ensure its flawless operation.

Offline marius

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:07:54 pm »
Thanks for posting a remedy Mark. Just reading through it makes me glad that I've stuck to the old style tensioner to get the job done!  ;D

Seems to me that at least some of the auto tensioners could possibly have some design flaw or it might not be a "auto tensioner" after all?

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:17:33 am »
The mechanic that fitted the auto tensioner noted that it was stiff/stuck when he fitted it and removed the pin holing the "pin" out. He then removed the whole thing and soaked it in engine oil overnight. No issues the next day when he fitted it. The pin moved in and tensioned the chain.     

Offline marius

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 04:30:54 pm »
Hi Spikes!

That seems like a easy fix for this issue. Thanks for posting!

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 06:17:27 am »
It must be noted that I have not done much driving with the Lada since fitting the tensioner, shoe and guide. Way less than 10000km. So far it's still quiet.

Offline ladaboy

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: durban
  • Province / State: kzn
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:55:01 pm »
The engine I looked at the other day was worked on before by the mechanic up the road from me. He gave me a call a long time back to assist with a noisey engine but back then I was still green to this auto tensioner thingy so I was hesitant to assist. It turns out the issue then was a stuck tensioner and it was freed up by said mechanic only for the same issue to crop up a year or so later and now knowing more about this auto tensioner I took a stab at it and got it working again.
Don't know if it's just dumb luck for the same van to have the same issue twice with the tensioner or if the unit is actually faulty.

Offline john.oosthuizen95@

• Full Niva Petrol Head
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 06:30:57 pm »
Also fitted the automatic tensioner... Had to force it to pick up the chain slack 2 times in less then 3000 km by removing the small Allen key bolt and using something small enough to force the plunger in to pick up the slack..... Now I have to replace it with the manual tensioner again...

Sent from my H3311 using Tapatalk