Offline Calvin_Bradley

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Westville
  • Province / State: KZN
LOCSA Parts Department
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:44:01 am »
Hi LOCSA,

I have a suggestion for the club:

Why not collect membership fees – let’s say something like R500 p/a – and this all goes into a LOCSA bank account.

With this cash, LOCSA is able to buy up any local Ladas that are heading to the scrap heap or being advertised for parts. Then we create an inventory of usable parts which the LOCSA members have access to. LOCSA can work out an affordable pricing structure for these parts, and maybe guarantee each member a R500 voucher for the LOCSA parts department per annum. The pricing structure will see that LOCSA continue to make a small profit on the parts and make the project sustainable, but I’m sure these prices will still be much more affordable for the local members. And we’ll have the added bonus of these parts being available in South Africa.

It’ll be a lot of added admin though, so maybe some of the funds will need to be directed towards a good book-keeper who could keep the LOCSA records and manage the parts department. Maybe a retired accountant among us who is still keen to balance some books.

Storage space will also need to be arranged in each province, where these parts could be stock-piled.

Imagine a future where we don’t have to wait 4 - 6 weeks for a part to get us back on the road.

Just an idea that can be built upon. I started thinking about it last night when I saw a KZN Lada owner advertising his for a low price. Mechanically sound just a vrot body.

Lekker!

Offline Calvin_Bradley

• New Niva Petrol head
Re: LOCSA Parts Department
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:26 am »
Another point I forgot to add to the idea, is that we'll have to insert some regulating rules as well. For instance, we can't have one member buying up all the inner CV's because they've got a heavily-modified lifted Niva that chows them for breakfast. Or they're onto their third steering box because they love their big tyres. That would be unfair to the members who might require the parts after taking care of theirs for 150,000kms or more.

So maybe each member is entitled to only get one steering box exchange, and the same for inner CV's etc.

It sounds like a big undertaking, but we've got a lot of members and we can make it happen. Perhaps a discussion for this year's National Gathering?

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: PE
  • Province / State: EC
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:34:16 am »
Hi Calvin,

Its a good idea in principle, but a little difficult to manage.

The inner cv's for lifted Niva's won't be an issue, because 2nd hand ones will not work, they will just break again.

Personally i prefer to replace all parts with new ones, as i then know what to expect from them in future,

further if in a bind Ventz normally has the correct part, if you cannot wait 6 weeks,

I just plan what I want to break 2 months in advance, and order it before it breakes LOL

Regards

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.

Offline Calvin_Bradley

• New Niva Petrol head
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 02:05:32 pm »
Lekker Ari,

I did assume it will be a ton of admin, but presumed it can be managed with a good structure and team effort.

I was just thinking about the advantage of having extra buying power – in this case by LOCSA.

I've thought about the same thing on a smaller scale, like teaming up with just two members and finding a Lada that can be stripped and shared. Instead of paying let's say R10,000 alone and needing only a few of the spares from it, we can split it three ways and get the parts we need for just a R3333 investment. Something along those lines. Of course the members you team up with must be looking for alternative parts to what you seek. So front diff to one guy, rear diff to the other, gearbox for member 3. Body to the one who needs an upgrade, transfer case to member B because he needs another. Suspension parts to another guy, and so forth. Everyone wins for a small investment.

Maybe it's all part of the fun, but we spend hours and weeks trying to find the right parts for our Nivas on occasions. There are many Ladas out there right now just standing. Like the one that sparked this idea. Apparently been parked for the past three years, but only because the body went bad. The rest of it can be very useful.

Either way, have a good weekend, Champs!

Offline john.oosthuizen95@

• Full Niva Petrol Head
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:39:07 pm »
Hi LOCSA,

I have a suggestion for the club:

Why not collect membership fees – let’s say something like R500 p/a – and this all goes into a LOCSA bank account.

With this cash, LOCSA is able to buy up any local Ladas that are heading to the scrap heap or being advertised for parts. Then we create an inventory of usable parts which the LOCSA members have access to. LOCSA can work out an affordable pricing structure for these parts, and maybe guarantee each member a R500 voucher for the LOCSA parts department per annum. The pricing structure will see that LOCSA continue to make a small profit on the parts and make the project sustainable, but I’m sure these prices will still be much more affordable for the local members. And we’ll have the added bonus of these parts being available in South Africa.

It’ll be a lot of added admin though, so maybe some of the funds will need to be directed towards a good book-keeper who could keep the LOCSA records and manage the parts department. Maybe a retired accountant among us who is still keen to balance some books.

Storage space will also need to be arranged in each province, where these parts could be stock-piled.

Imagine a future where we don’t have to wait 4 - 6 weeks for a part to get us back on the road.

Just an idea that can be built upon. I started thinking about it last night when I saw a KZN Lada owner advertising his for a low price. Mechanically sound just a vrot body.

Lekker!
When we start doing this thing.....?

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: PE
  • Province / State: EC
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 02:43:18 pm »

When we start doing this thing.....?

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

When you start donating money to it............

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.

Offline Emilepaf

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Yako
  • Province / State: Burkina Faso
LOCSA Parts Department
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 02:05:34 pm »
Hey Parts, i ate this whole pizza the other night. Going to have another one tonight, but not likely i will eat it all. I am in West Africa Malabo Equetoria Guinea. Staying at the Hilton.

Offline Brett

• Full Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Durban
  • Province / State: KwaZulu-Natal
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 09:35:26 pm »
Hey Parts, i ate this whole pizza the other night. Going to have another one tonight, but not likely i will eat it all. I am in West Africa Malabo Equetoria Guinea. Staying at the Hilton.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline ladaboy

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: durban
  • Province / State: kzn
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 11:48:30 pm »
Your idea has merit but there will always be the guys after the same parts and then the fighting begins. I recon before we start up sharing the cost of a Lada how about we make up a list of parts and owners who are prepared to sell off their excess ( there is a thread for sale parts )
Unfortunately it may sound harsh but if you need parts off a complete scrapped vehicle you will need to acquire it yourself and strip what you need and sell off what you don't. I'm no maths boffin but if 3 guys are all looking for a gearbox one will need to buy 3 Ladas as a group...is it not the same as buying one yourself? left over parts can be traded between a bigger group.
The Whatsapp groups are very active and someone did mention once before of starting a for sale or needed parts group which can be a quick response system for the guys looking for used parts.