• Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
  • City: Krugersdorp
  • Province / State: Gauteng
Re: Ben 10 Eco Challange
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:53 pm »
Right day 2.

Although it started in the previous post, as we didn’t sleep it felt like 1 long long day.

Anyway we left after a quick shower to freshen up. We finally started the BEN 10 Eco Challenge.Arriving in lady smith only the local petrol station was open, so no coffee and had to drink energy drink. Horrible stuff. Cant stand it but it did wake me up a bit. We deflated the tires and off we went going up the Joubert pass.

5KM on the trail and I noticed that my engine didn’t had a lot of power. A few meters further I couldn’t go up even in first gear. Luckily courtney came and had a look and shuck me awake…. I was still in High range diff off. So, once that was engaged the rest of the trail was done with a breeze. The Joubert pass was amazing. And with the early morning and some clouds, at the summit we had a spectacular few with the sun piercing the clouds. First pass done now off to Otto du Plessis Pass! Not really.... going up Joubert pass was great fun and fast. Going down took forever and it felt like a never-ending story. 2 hours later we where back on the tarr road finally heading to the second Pass, Otto du Plessis Pass.

On our way to Otto du Plessis pass we struggled finding the route cell phones didn’t work and my GPS kept on switching of due to a kak power connection. And some of the roads required to get to the Otto du Plessis pass weren’t shown on the maps of map studio. However, we got on the right track. This time it took forever to get to the summit. But boy another awesome view. It was quite windy so after some pictures we jumped back in the car and started the decent. The decent of Otto du Plessis pass was great fun and again with beautiful scenery. It felt like you where really in the middle of nowhere. Now it was 12h30 and we still had barkly pass and the most feared Bastervoet pass to do..

We raced to the town Elliot. Once arrived we filled our cars. Suddenly a whole convoy of Ladas came through it was the KZN guys on their way to Hogsback. Quick hello here and there (very uncommon Lada owners talk more then Old age people), as we where on a mission, and to be honest I know wanted to join the KZN guys in the Hogsback pubs. Anyway, we left Elliot and did the only tar pass in the Ben 10 Challenge Barkly Pass. A very pleasent smooth surface. Climbing on Barkly pass and looking at the mountains makes you feel tiny. Then it was the Bastervoet Pass.

We took a wrong turn (again) but luckily a lady in a Fortuner stopped us and told us to follow her. So we followed her to the start of the Bastervoet pass. She stayed there in the 2 or 3 houses build there. She mentioned that it will take us up to 2 to 4 hours to get to the top. But that didn’t stop us. POWERRRR i went first and drove up the pass. The road was horrible. Well there was no road… anyway I kept going didn’t look back and lost courtney behind me then the big rocks really became to difficult to just speed up the Pass. But now going slowly up the Pass with the wind in our back meant that my car started overheating so I had to stop. And while my misses was rearranging her hair and clothes after being shaken around in the car, Courtney and Bianca caught up. I could see he wasn’t to happy and as he approached me, I could hear the complaints “why you driving like a mad man ect ect. Anyway, my car had to cool down and courtney and myself went further up to check the Pass by foot. Clearly, we were on the last hectic stretch of the pass as the rest looked pretty easy. Once back at the vehicles, my car was ready to go. And indeed, within another 20 minutes driving more carefully and sticking together we reached the summit. The summit was the most spectacular view we had so far during the trip. Really amazing. Anyway no time to waste view pictures and back in the car on our way to hogsback.

By now courtney and myself where stuffed we been driving for 2 full days with no sleep what so ever. So the ladys took over and drove towards Queenstown. At Queenstown darkness fell. we took over the wheels after a very demanding Pee break… once we arrived at Cathcart we where happy... We almost there… HAHAHA NOT. Another 60/70KM of horrible corrugated road was waiting for us and while driving on this shit road we came across massive bush fires quite sad to see. But then.. YES! We made it, we saw the white HOGS signboard. We went straight to the pub and guess what... the KZNers where still in the pub, they like their drinks. So after 2 beers as that was all to get me drunk. We went to camp set up camp and finally hit the sack….. what a day!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:29:21 pm by SARemco »

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2020, 10:46:29 am »
GOOD MORNING HOGSBACK.

Day 3.

After a great night sleep, we woke up to a campsite filled with ladas. During the night and early mornings more ladas arrived. What a sight! LOCSA NATIONALS has started. During a lekker cup of coffee, sponsored during the holiday by Bianca (Thank you Bianca) we welcomed all. It was great to see some familiar faces and some new. All ladas looked great.

Courtney and myself where dedicated to do the Hogsback parkrun, however as stated before the lada guys can talk shot for ever. So, we were late, but we made it up. After lekker run we went back for lekker breakfast and continued talking. In the meantime, more LOCSA members arrived. Midday we had the Capetonians arriving. From their arrival until their departure I didn’t stop laughing with these oaks. Another bonus was that today the first South Africa game of the Rugby world cup was played against the fearful kiwi’s
We went to the local pub in our green and gold and watched the game. After the game we went back sulking due to loosing against the kiwi’s not a great start. But by now, all know South Africa still became the rugby world cup 2019 champions.

As we sat down for lekker cold beer alarm bells went off all over. There was a fire near the town and all residents rushed to fight the fire, no municipality fire truck in sight….. we were on holiday but after a short referendum with the LOCSA club we went out to assist.  The locals where very pleased that we assisted but while a few locals accused cigarette butts where the cause of the fire the LOCSA Capetonians lit some cigarettes next to these locals. No worries they kept us all entertained while sipping their beers. When the fire was under control and basically dead, we pulled back to start enjoying the 3rd National LOCSA event.

That evening we all gathered in the entertainment area and the event was kicked off by the Chairman.

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2020, 11:02:57 am »
Rain, rain and power cuts

Day 4

We woke up to a cool clouded day in hogsback. Slowly but surely people emerged out of their tents chalets and hotel room. After a relax slow morning we all gathered for Ventz talk about the Ladas.

A lekker fire was made to keep the entertainment area warm as the weather was really becoming like European shit weather. It started to rain now. Sitting lekker warm by the fire listening to Ventz workshop, time passed slowly. But then…. Eskom…. Loadshedding. Later we learned that is was one of the power cables that got damaged during the fire so by beginning of the evening it was fixed and we had some power. Ventz couldn’t continue but luckily Riaan didn’t need a projector for his recovery workshop. It was more stories explaining how he learned the hard way how to do recoveries ensuring that we won’t make the same mistakes. it was very entertaining.

It became a very wet cold day. but all locsa members made the best of it by doing what they do best, talk shit about ladas while enjoying a drink here and there…

Then out of nowhere this completely original 1600 Lada was towed on the campsite. One of the locals that owns a Lada couldn't resist and towed his Lada to the LOCSA event. the guy is Richard. Unfortunately we couldn't get the Lada running due to the carb that was seized. but we looking forward seeing him with the next LOCSA Nationals.

That evening we got all together in the entertainment area and enjoyed another great evening together. we didn't made it late (beside some others) as the next day we would head to the well known Ferndale 4x4... Early start.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:52:05 pm by SARemco »

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:23 pm »
Ferndale 4x4

Day 5

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 02:24:11 pm »
Continue the BEN 10 ECO Challenge

Day 6

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 02:24:40 pm »
New Heights

Day 7

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 02:24:59 pm »
Border Crossing

Day 8

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 02:25:23 pm »
Lesotho Highlands

Day 9

Offline SARemco

• -
  • Full Niva Petrol Head
  • -
    • LadaVentures
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 02:25:48 pm »
The last stretch

Day 10

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: PTA
  • Province / State: GP
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 11:38:05 am »
Remco,

These new updates are cheats, you cannot just write the names.................... hahaha just joking, I am sure you will come and edit them later with more info

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.