Author Topic: Oxygen sensor  (Read 337 times)  Share 

Offline Keegan

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Johannesburg
  • Province / State: Gauteng
Oxygen sensor
« on: August 31, 2020, 03:19:16 pm »
Recently i changed my tps and map sensor on my tbi which fixed the jerking it had before but after driving on the highway for a while the engine lost power completely.
I unplugged the oxygen sensor to see if it was reading weird from heat and it ran much better than usual without it.(with some black smoke ofcourse  ;D)
Tried replacing it with one of those universal bosch 4 pins but it wont rev past 3000rpm at all now.
...Is it true that the nivas ecu cant read the universal sensors?

Thanks to anyone who helps this is a long post sorry :D

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: PTA
  • Province / State: GP
Re: Oxygen sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:31:10 pm »
Hi Keegan,

The longer the post the better as there is more background to work with. The ECU's do not like universal O2 sensors, however there is a Bosch one that is supposed to work..... I never could get it to work on my Dad's Lada, so put in a 2nd hand original one that I had which worked better.

Apparently you need to earth one of the wires on the bosch type. I think Mark (@ladaboy) in Durban knows the procedure.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:33:13 pm by Ari bezuidenhout »

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.

Offline Keegan

• New Niva Petrol head
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 02:03:09 pm »
I figured out a while back that earthing the negative to the body seems to work, runs well and I've had no problems.Just need to find a tps that turns in the right direction now then the check engine light will have nothing to complain about.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:03:37 pm by Keegan »

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: PTA
  • Province / State: GP
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 10:07:02 am »
Ventz Larazov and Chris Kruger should have. Their emails should be on here somewhere.

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.

Offline Calvin_Bradley

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Westville
  • Province / State: KZN
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 11:04:00 am »
I figured out a while back that earthing the negative to the body seems to work, runs well and I've had no problems.Just need to find a tps that turns in the right direction now then the check engine light will have nothing to complain about.
Hi Keegan 👋🏼
I’ve heard (or maybe misheard, so don’t quote me), that by reversing the polarity of the wires for the TPS, then you can get it to work the right way. That’s with an Opel TPS from Goldwagen. I can’t confirm it will work because I’ve not tried it personally.
Good luck 👍🏼

Offline Calvin_Bradley

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Westville
  • Province / State: KZN
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:06:27 am »
Hi Keegan 👋🏼
I’ve heard (or maybe misheard, so don’t quote me), that by reversing the polarity of the wires for the TPS, then you can get it to work the right way. That’s with an Opel TPS from Goldwagen. I can’t confirm it will work because I’ve not tried it personally.
Good luck 👍🏼
Perhaps get a second opinion as well. Would hate for my suggestion to somehow fry a computer box. I’m no electronic expert. In fact I know nothing, just listen 👂

Offline Keegan

• New Niva Petrol head
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 12:32:47 pm »
Calvin its not a bad idea.I took it to a diagnostics guy and he tested the tps while turning the throttle and it only reached 50% anyways(in the wrong direction)
So would help but i think i found the part number for the right tps.
17106681 and 17106680
One is the clockwise one i have and the other is the anti clockwise that could work,just need to find someone who has it.