Author Topic: Fitting a winch to your NIVA  (Read 6469 times)  Share 

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
Fitting a winch to your NIVA
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:34:49 am »
This will contain the guiding pictures Jan posted in "Veruska" Pictures reposted with ladanivabelgium's consent; Comments as Jan inserted them in "Veruska"  More information provided by Jan, directly below this post ;) ;)

on my new winchbumper the mounting plate is also bended to ad (a lot of!) strenght.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:43:15 am by Spikes »

Offline ladanivabelgium

• Senior Niva Petrol Head
    • De Belgische Nivavrienden
  • City: Kessel
  • Province / State: Antwerp
Re: Fitting a winch to your NIVA
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:57:51 am »
a bit more explanation and some more pics

Fitting a winch to your Niva, even though it is time consuming, is not so hard to do. You do need some basic powertools as a grinder, a drill and a welder.
First of all: Please be advised that the original bumper supports are not strong enough to withstand the forces of the winch. More about that later.
I started out with a flat piece of 6 mm steel. Dimensions: 750 x 165 mm.

Also cut at least one piece of 750 x 60 mm to strengthen the winch plate.

Have a beer

Weld all the pieces together. Wel it strong as this is the basic strength of the plate.

Now make the supports to bolt the plate to the bumper mounts. Weld them to the winch plate.

Now find some tubes that fit into the original bumper mounts and weld them. Put the winch plate on the bumper mounts and drill 12,5 mm holes. Also drill horizontal 12,5 mm holes through the chassis and the tubes. Drill 2 holes at each side. Use large, strong washers when you put 12 mm bolts in them.

Put the winch on the plate, mark the holes and drill them.
Give it a nice finish. I also welded some spot supports to this plate and mounts for towing hooks.

Whit this particular winch plate i had to consider the bullbar. When you have another or no bullbar at all the winch can be mounted a bit higher.

When you want a nice, stock looking finisch you can use your bumper but you’ll have to cut it in pieces. As it happens i have a (damaged) winch bumper as an example:

The relais are best onder the hood, where they can be mounted high and dry. I also advise to put a kill switch in the main power line. When bad quality relais are used (as it sometimes happens with cheap ass Chinese winches) the relais can get stuck and then the winch can’t be stopped. I use good quality stuff, but one never kan be sure enough.

When you’re finished, it should be something like this:

I have a beautiful daughter,
i also have:
a shotgun
a shovel
an alibi

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
Re: Fitting a winch to your NIVA