Author Topic: Lada Niva and rust  (Read 9572 times)  Share 

Offline Danie

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Durban
  • Province / State: KZN
Lada Niva and rust
« on: August 26, 2014, 06:38:57 am »
Maybe you are right, he probably refered to the many Ladas who end up in scrap yards these days.

By pure fluke I recently saw a 2002 model with only 48 000 kms on the clock at a local scrapyard........the interiour still looked brand new, but the body was rusted beyond repairs. The previous owner clearly tried to sell the Lada........price and model were painted at the windscreen but obviously nobody would be interested in such  rusted wrecks.

So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline Conrad

Re: Lada Niva and rust
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:49 am »
Yes rust has probably more ladas than any other cause. Very sad
One wife - livid

Offline Danie

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:07:53 pm »
At the old forum somebody (if I rememerber correctly it was Ventz) once mentioned something about a batch of (100 ?) Ladas which arrived in South Africa, and on arrival there were clear indications of rust on these vehicles already. Not sure, but I guess there is a possibility that the rusted wreck I recently saw might be one of the "100" rusted Ladas which arrived in the country.

Very sad indeed, to my mind many Ladas in our country will end up in scrapyards in the near future, due to extremely poor body preparation by the manufacturer.

So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline Ihar

• Administrator
  • Honour thy forefathers and drink beer, they did.
  • City: Roodepoort
  • Province / State: Gauteng
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:00:42 am »
At the old forum somebody (if I rememerber correctly it was Ventz) once mentioned something about a batch of (100 ?) Ladas which arrived in South Africa, and on arrival there were clear indications of rust on these vehicles already. Not sure, but I guess there is a possibility that the rusted wreck I recently saw might be one of the "100" rusted Ladas which arrived in the country.

Very sad indeed, to my mind many Ladas in our country will end up in scrapyards in the near future, due to extremely poor body preparation by the manufacturer.

If I remember these were part of a batch that took over 2 years and a roundabout route route to get here, the import was not supported by AutoVAZ.

Tjeers

Steve

Offline Danie

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:16:30 pm »

If I remember these were part of a batch that took over 2 years and a roundabout route route to get here, the import was not supported by AutoVAZ.

Tjeers

Steve

Gee, that deepens the plot............this means that  Vaz were not the sole distributor of Ladas, and that more of this rubbish probably entered our country ??

Offline ventzel

• Junior Niva Petrol head
  • City: Pietermaritzburg
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:48:28 am »
Hi guys,

Your suppositions are a lot far from the truth.

# Rust - actually the Niva is a very good rust protected car. I don't know how many of you had a chance to drive on deep snow and ice; it's a challenge indeed for many drivers in lots of European places and sometimes it continues for months. So the municipalities use sea salt and chemicals based on magnesium to keep the streets clean. Not a good thing for the vehicles and environment but the safety first. The snow melts quickly but all these chemicals get inside fenders and sills and stay there. In a 3-4 years the holes appear. It depends of course of the drivers and the use of the car during the winter and every vehicle is individual but the rust on more expensive cars as Mercedes, BMW, Peugeot,.. comes faster. The worst was OPEL and Alfa Romeo with their thin tin. Don't forget the Niva has double tin thickness than any other passenger car. The antirust solution applied underneath the Ladas was imported somewhere from the Scandinavian countries.

So please - don't blame the producer and look at yourself. I've seen terribly rusted Nivas here but as a result of reckless drivers - careless youngsters, surfers, divers, fishermen,... They run the car on the beach, all that salty sand gets inside everywhere and later nobody wash it. A few years ago most of the beaches were closed for 4x4 but the damage was done. With such a treatment you can even have an aluminium Land Rover and it will rust too.

My Niva is 17 years old in daily use, always sleeps outside in the yard, no even a single night in garage or under roof and has very little rust. At the place where I live the rains start at beginning of September and continue non-stop for a 4-5 months.
I've got a lady customer nearby with a mileage of 360000 km and almost no rust as well.

What can I say about the incredible idiot Hannes, a salesman in Lada Pinetown in 2000/2001 year. He went with the car in the ocean for fun. Next day he show us the photos how Niva runs like a submarine under the waves with a ships in the background. He was very proud of himself but a week later he was kick out and fired from the company. A brand new Sidekick demo model was written off before to be registered, still with the garage number plates. After this brainless adventure it was with broken body kit, sand everywhere inside and the rust came shortly.

# The delivery of the first 100+ Nivas in 1999. These cars were produced in 1997-1998 by order from Vanchester and sent to SA. Shortly after that Vanchester collapsed and the poor cars were stuck in the middle of the road - somewhere at port in Lithuania waiting for the ferry from Germany. They spent there almost 2 years waiting for better life. Nobody in Europe wanted them because they were with RHS steering. When CMH got the franchise to import Ladas in RSA one of the very important points in the contract was to collect these cars from Lithuania - AvtoVAZ insisted hardly for that - of course, this was lost production and waste of money for port fees, security and maintenance.

I personally fetched and inspected this delivery at Durban harbour. They came very dirty, with flat batteries and dry carburettors, towing most of them but with NO RUST. The wax which covered the cars was about 1 mm thick and very efficient. I've got one of them now in my yard and it still has no even a single rust spot. Everyone is welcome to check it. By the way - today I counted all my Lads and they are 24 all together (23 Nivas + 1 Samara) - funny indeed.

# AvtoVAZ was the sole distributor for its production to SA.

# AvtoVAZ hardly supports all their products. It's another story how the local importers ruined the chances to continue the presence of the Ladas in South Africa.

# Cylinder heads are easy repairable. Skimming - only as a last case scenario if the engine has been overheated. The skimming should be 0.2-0.3 mm just to ensure straight surface. Maximum skimming depth is 1.0 mm or get another head. Once a client came with cylinder head with 4 mm less, simply the engineering workshop did a rubbish job. If not overheating appeared - do not skim, just clean the surface with razor and gently with sand paper.

### This post was for my trip to Cape Town and my wish to meet new Lada owners, enthusiasts and friends as the last year. Please do not discuss any technical and admin matters more. If the moderator wishes he could move the topic to another chapter and we can continue there.

Ventz
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:05:27 am by ventzel »

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:39:57 am »
Thanks for the information Ventz.  Interesting part of the NIVA history in South Africa.

I agree that the non trip related posts be moved.

I will move them during today.

Offline ronnie

• Senior Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Thornley
  • Province / State: county Durham
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:24:51 am »
Hi All

I see Ford, Vauxhall, etc here with so much rust I would be ashamed to own them. I also see very old cars that have no rust. I should also mention I have yet to see a Niva.

Ronnie

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:35:28 am »
One cannot depend on the factory applied corrosion inhibitors to do the job on their own. It is best to remove any accumulation of mud asap

Offline Danie

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:53:19 pm »
Well, I can actually only speak about about my personal experience about rust on vehicles I owned during my lifetime:

I owned several VW and Audi vehicles, as well as vehicles like Mercedes Benz, Toyota, and Peogeot during the past 42 years. To be honest, I never got rid of any vehicle soon - for example, I owned VW products for at least 28 years during my lifetime. I am not going to waste my time in discussing this - all I know, I have seen many Ladas during my almost nine years of Lada ownership, and I THINK I know what I am talking about.

All I'm actually trying to say - take care, Lada Nivas do need SOME VERY SPECIAL CARE to ensure a medium to long term of ownership !  Nobody obviously has to beleive me.........make up your own mind, but please, take note of the rust "bug".  :)

Offline Danie

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »
Oops, I forgot about the Ford. My wife currently owns a 2005 2 liter Focus........... slept outside during the past nine years, and not a single spot of rust anywhere  . 8)

Offline marius

• The proof is in the pudding
  • City: The other side of Ventersdorp
  • Province / State: North West Province
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:34:30 am »
The worst car killer is salty sea spray. Most 4x4 vehicles that drive in these conditions tend to rust badly - if not thoroughly washed soon after such a trip. Regular sedan cars hardly ever get to drive in these conditions - hence less rust issues. Those that do will suffer the same fate. The one 'bad" area for the Niva seems to be the side window on the left hand side. Other than that no problem if you keep the problem areas clean.

Marius 

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 11:04:01 am »
A good example of what Marius refers to can be seen in the "New Toy" thread:

http://ladanivaza.co.za/index.php/topic,290.msg3329.html#new

Offline marius

• The proof is in the pudding
  • City: The other side of Ventersdorp
  • Province / State: North West Province
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 11:35:02 am »
I can also add that the underbelly of the  Nivas that was imported to SA were all very well treated against rust - but you must be very careful with rust on the underside as the car is a unitary body.

Marius

Offline Danie

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 04:28:57 pm »
Maybe I'm just too sensive about rust. I must admit, my feeling about rust on Ladas is also based on the impression I got when I opened some Lada bonnets in the past.  Rusted engine components like a rusted aircleaner, tappet cover, etc.  always looks very suspicious to me, but maybe I am wrong.

I think prospective buyers just need to be very careful when they are thinking of buying a rusted Lada. Proper body repairs on any given rusted vehicle do cost a small fortune these days, and the surface rust one usually see on any given vehicle can easily be the tip of an iceberg.