Author Topic: Fitting an Airconditioner  (Read 6508 times)  Share 

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
Fitting an Airconditioner
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:42:58 pm »
Ventz in Pietermaritzburg had some original aircons for sale last year. You can pm him. He only recommend fitting to the fuel injection models though

Ps: scanning briefly through the old forum discussion,  the aircon parts used are not OEM Lada NIVA parts.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:34:43 pm by Spikes »

Offline ronnie

• Senior Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Thornley
  • Province / State: county Durham
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:32:59 am »
Works fine on a carb model.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:42:21 am by Spikes »

Offline marius

• The proof is in the pudding
  • City: The other side of Ventersdorp
  • Province / State: North West Province
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:20 pm »
Welcome Jacoba :)

I think I should elaborate somewhat on Ronnie's comment above. Ronnie successfully fitted an aircon on his carburator Lada a few years back and it ran perfectly whilst Ronnie owned the car. Naturally Ronnie can make further comments on it if he wants to but from what I gathered he was quite happy with the result. However I am not sure if it's the same aircon that Ventz has in store?

Ronnie left SA and sold his Lada in the process. To my mind his Lada was in prestine condition and very well looked after. I am not sure what the current situation is but the new owner ran into some engine trouble a year or so later. The exact cause of the engine failure is still unclear to me. Perhaps someone could elaborate?

Marius
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:41:36 am by Spikes »

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
Re: Fitting an Airconditioner
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:55 pm »
Here is one of the old forum links:
http://locsa.proboards.com/thread/1431/aircon

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:31:22 pm »

Offline Danie

• City: Durban
  • Province / State: KZN
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:13:24 pm »
Welcome Jacoba :)

Ronnie left SA and sold his Lada in the process. To my mind his Lada was in prestine condition and very well looked after. I am not sure what the current situation is but the new owner ran into some engine trouble a year or so later. The exact cause of the engine failure is still unclear to me. Perhaps someone could elaborate?

Marius

To my mind the problem with "Ronnie's Lada" can directly be linked  to some unfortutunate "warra warra talk" at the old Forum - regarding a Lada's "capability" to cope with high speed driving on highways. I have seen Ronnie's Lada before he sold the Lada, and Ronnie even took me for a ride on the Lada - to my mind there is no reason to beleive that Ronnie's Lada was in poor condition when the Lada has been sold to the Vincent.

Sorry to say - I have a horrible feeling that Vincent indeed beleived the "warra warra talk " at the old forum - which  implicated that Ladas are indeed capable of coping high speed driving on highways. The reason for my statement - the guy who bought the Lada from Vincent, confirmed to me that when he bought the Lada from Vincent, Vincent picked him up at the Durban Airport, and with Vincent behind the steering wheel, Vincent drove the Lada back to Pennington at 130 km/h. The new owner drove the Lada from Pennington to Cape Town, and not only experienced engine problems before he reached Cape Town - the Transmission components were p$ssing out out oil everywhere by the time he reached Cape Town ....

Now, to my mind - driving a Lada at 130 km/ h is simply looking for trouble !

Long story short - a local friend uses his Lada for business purposes - and often drive his Lada at high speed on freeways. This guy loves his Lada to bits, but often drives his Lada at 130 km/h, and even faster. So guess what - despite the fact that this guy always take special care about his Lada (in perfect condition) , the (perfect) engine also did'nt last very long .

In short - forget about high speed driving with Ladas on highways !

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:52:46 am by Spikes »
So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline marius

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:35:53 am »
Well I thought that perhaps the failure could have been "aircon related" due to possible low oil pressure, but yes, I also don't believe in pushing a Lada at the upper levels of it's design parameters. Especially on a regular basis.

Marius

Offline ronnie

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 11:32:33 am »
Hi All,

The air con fitted to the Niva that Vincent bought from me, was originally fitted to Ari`s Niva. The story of the original fitment in 1996 is in the old posts. I bought the kit from Ari, and fitted it into the last Niva I owned. The problem Ventz had was the fact that the revs drop at idle when the compressor cuts in. I fitted my own version of an "idle up" device to overcome this problem, but there are commercial devices available for this. A modern compressor, does not have drop the revs to the same extent. An air con is also quite common in Niva`s in Australia. After I left SA, I don`t know how Vincent looked after it, but he did do VERY high mileage in the course of his work. Needless to say I looked after my vehicles, and they were always serviced more often than they required. The only kits for the Niva available now are the ones Ventz had in stock. There are universal kits available, but you would need to fabricate brackets for the compressor. If you asked me if I would fit one to a Niva again, the answer would be yes. I have found one pic of the inside unit. 

Offline ronnie

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 11:33:53 am »
Sorry, here is the inside unit.

Ronnie

Offline marius

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 12:07:13 pm »
Thanks Ronnie that was the response I was looking for! :)

Marius