Author Topic: Replacing door lock cylinders  (Read 3071 times)  Share 

Offline nes

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Johannesburg
  • Province / State: Gauteng
Replacing door lock cylinders
« on: October 15, 2015, 04:10:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

When I bought Ksenia the right door lock was busted, it looked as if someone had tried to open it with a screwdriver. Not a big deal I thought,  I hardly ever lock her and when i do Ijust lock the right door from inside and then the left door from outside.

Today I decided to get matching cylinders but realised that changing them is a royal pain in the arse. I am assuming that the cylinders are released by removing a circlip or e-clip from inside, like most cylinders  I've seen. I can't see any clip from the inside and i get the feeling that I need to remove the door handle. The handle is secured by two 8mm nuts, one of which is right behind the window rail, which suggests to me that I need to remove EVERYTHING that's mounted on the door to change a cylinder lock.

Please tell me there is an easier way, the manual doesn't have specific instructions for individual components,  it just tells you how to remove the lot. If there is no easier way  I'll probably install central locking rather than removing the handles.

Thanks, cheers,

Nes

Sparky

Re: Replacing door lock cylinders
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »
go with the central locking try for the kit that gives you remote unlock of the boot as well, then fit a golf starter motor solenoid as a boot lock release

Offline ram

• Full Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Mariakerke
  • Province / State: East-Flanders
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:14:30 pm »

Offline nes

• New Niva Petrol head
  • City: Johannesburg
  • Province / State: Gauteng
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:30:33 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll look do something like that here in South Africa, it shouldn't be a problem

However, knowing that something is broken or doesn't work bugs me like you wouldn't believe,  one day I'll replace that lock cylinder even if i never use it

Online Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • City: PTA
  • Province / State: GP
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »
You need to remove the handles, not necessary to remove the glass though, the job is a pain in the ass.

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.