Author Topic: Remove/replace draglink  (Read 16151 times)  Share 

Offline Spikes

• Veteran Niva Petrol Head
  • NoNiva4me
  • City: White River
  • Province / State: Mpumalanga
Re: Remove/replace draglink
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 11:15:49 am »
Refurbished at N4 Steering and Suspension in Nelspruit. 12 month or 20000km warranty. They will not cut and extend the short draglink(lhd?)

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
  • City: PTA
  • Province / State: GP
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 01:17:19 pm »
Hi Spikes,
I do not see why you cannot use the short drag link,  all it will mean is resetting the lhs wheel alignment.

My Lada runs on grace from God, and breaks due to my failings.

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 03:20:21 pm »
25mm to short.

Offline Danie

• City: Durban
  • Province / State: KZN
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »
Spikes, I assume  you mean the short draglink at the left is 25mm too short to compensate for the shorter (new) draglink which is only 20mm too short ?

Sorry, I don't fully understand.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:29:10 pm by Danie »
So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline ram

• Full Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Mariakerke
  • Province / State: East-Flanders
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 10:03:00 pm »
I would advise NOT to use a shorter draglink. With the draglink installed, the steeringarms of the steeringbox and the auxilary steeringbox should be parallel. Using a shorter or longer one will mess up the toe in/out alignment at taking turns, especialy at full turns. Basicly, the wheels will not turn in the same degree, the inner wheel will turn more than the outer wheel at turns. It will probably give oversteer. And 20 to 25mm shorter will mess it up quite bad.

Offline Spikes

• NoNiva4me
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 05:31:14 am »
Spikes, I assume  you mean the short draglink at the left is 25mm too short to compensate for the shorter (new) draglink which is only 20mm too short ?

Sorry, I don't fully understand.

The newly supplied draglink is 260mm from middle of end cap to end cap. The original rhd drive one is 285mm over the same points. Installation of tge short link willl mean front wheels will toe out  by roughly 17 degrees each side. Excessive compensation on toe-in adjustment would  be required. Also see ram's post above.

Offline Danie

• City: Durban
  • Province / State: KZN
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 06:44:30 am »

With the draglink installed, the steeringarms of the steeringbox and the auxilary steeringbox should be parallel...............Basicly, the wheels will not turn in the same degree, the inner wheel will turn more than the outer wheel at turns. It will probably give oversteer. And 20 to 25mm shorter will mess it up quite bad.

Hi Ram,

I think if it is possible to adjust the short adjustable draglink at the left by 25 mm, the steering arms of the steering box and the auxilary steering box should be parallel again, and there should be no reason why the wheels should not turn at the same degree, or mess up anything ?

P.S. Or if the short draglink at the left gets adjusted by 12.5mm, and the short draglink at the right also gets adjusted by 12.5 mm, both steering arms should be parallel, and the wheels should turn at the same degree ? But in this case I think the pitman arm at the steering box should also be adjusted  ?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:41:00 am by Danie »
So you have enemies ?    Good.   That means you stood up for something, some time in your life  -  Winston Churchill.

You will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks  - Winston Churchill.

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »
I am assuming that I am driving like this but have not measured.

Offline ram

• Full Niva Petrol Head
  • City: Mariakerke
  • Province / State: East-Flanders
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 09:12:56 pm »
Come to think of it there are more reasons not to use a shorter or longer draglink. The pitmanarm on the steeringbox has 2 limiters , to limit the available degrees of turn to both sides. If one installed a shorter draglink and realigned the wheels , the limiter at the back of the arm will already be much closer to its endpoint and therefore less turn degrees to the left will be available. On the other hand the second limiter, somewhere close to halfway the arm, will be much further away of its endpoint and therefore more degrees to the right will be available . To the right there s a real chance that the cv joint at wheelside will not be able to handle the bigger angle of operation.
Using a longer draglink will give the same problems but just the opposit.
Tire wear and squeeling at turns will also be an issue.
If the shorter one can be lengthend to the correct size in a solid way there s no problem.
Perhaps this is an idea if it would get hard to find the correct size for rhd or no one around who can refurbish it.
Take 2 short tierod ends , cut the draglink at both sides to a suitable size. drill holes on both sides of the cut draglink and thread them so the tierods can be turned in , block them with a counterbolt. So you have an adjustable draglink with easy to replace and to find tierods. Not sure if this is possible as I do not know if the link is hollow or solid metal.

Offline Ari bezuidenhout

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 07:39:05 pm »
That adjustable drag link is a bliming good idea